Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Selflessness...the greatest gift

I just wanted to share a quick story about something that happened at work the other day.
I was doing my job like usual and shuffeling through people, sort of robotic like, I had my memorized speaches and was bagging super quickly. On every other occasion, with each customer, I try to make eye contact and comment on something they are buying, something about them personally or even about the children, but for some reason, this day I was not in a commenting mood. I wasn't being rude, I just wasn't carrying conversations with the customers like I generally do. About a quarter of the way into my shift, I had a lady come to my till. She was stunning. I believe she was India and was going to a wedding. (I assume that based on the conversation) She was dressed beautifully, she had on a pink and gold sari, she had jewels on her forehead, henna on her arms, and these amazing earrings. I took notice of her attire the second she started walking towards me. As I was serving her, I made a comment about how lovely she looked today. She said thank you very politely, I then made another comment about how nice her earrings were. At this point, she got very excited and said "Yes, you like?!". And I told her how they were very pretty and looked great with her outfit. She then proceeded to put her hands to her hears and said "You like, you can have!". She was about to take them right out of her ears and give them to me! I politely declined, but was in shock that she was just going to give them to me! No hesitation or second thoughts, she was about to take them out and hand them over knowing she would never see them again. I was completely in shock. I was so in awe that someone would do that for me. You don't hear stories like this anymore, of people taking things right off their own back's and giving them to someone else. It was pure selflessness. It was so cool to witness and see that first hand.

It got me thinking about selfishness. As Christians, we are supposed to follow the examples of love and selflessness that Jesus portrayed when he was alive on this earth. The lady was a great physical reminder to me of how amazing it feels to have someone sacrifice something of their own for someone else - a perfect stranger no less! It's a reminder of how blessed I am to know of and have accepted the love from the One who made the ultimate sacrifice for me.

This experience has had me thinking and evaluating alot lately about my own life and how I can live a more selfless life. Go forward with me, live a selfless life. Don't be afraid to do something nice for someone...you never know how it might affect them.

1 comment:

  1. man, that happened to me in Bangladesh, where a girl I had just met gave me the earrings straight from her own ears (I am wearing them today). It is amazing how humbling it is, eh? Thanks for the reminder. I love you!
    Ash xoxo

    ReplyDelete