Time. Time flies. Time crawls. Time seems to be able to speed up and slow down, but never when we want. You know those times in life where all you want is to freeze time? To stop in one moment and last there forever? Those moments are usually spent with people you love. Don't you wish that time could stop in those moments when you see the incredible colours splash across the sky when you witness your first sunrise. Or in that moment where you kiss your true love for the first time. The first time you hear your baby laugh. In these moments, you know that nothing else matters and you wish so badly that time would just freeze. Even just for a few moments to enjoy that special thing - whatever it may be. Then there are those times where you wish time would speed up. Where nothing you try, no matter how hard you try to keep yourself busy to pass the time, it never seems to go any faster. Time is a curious thing. It's often frustrating becuase it never seems to work the way you want.Lately, I have really struggled with the concept of time. How to make it last. How to speed it up and then slow it down right where I want it to. I think it frustrates me, becuase I can't control it. I am one of those people who likes to be able to manage and be in charge of things. I like to plan things and make things happen how I want them too. I wish so badly that I could have a remote on life - make it speed up and slow down when I want it to. Now I know that sounds kinda selfish. Actually it sounds really selfish, but I'm human. My instinct is to want things to go my way. I have to constantly remind myself that God is in control. His timing for everything is perfect. It is a lesson in patience and a lesson in trust as I wait. I hate being patient. I wish that things would happen when I want them to. I have really had to work on being patient. I know that patience is one of the fruits of the spirit and I wish it just came naturally but it doesn't. It is something that is learned. Learned through situation. Learned and perfected through trial and error. Through times of tested patience where I remain patient. And times of tested patience where I have failed and gotten upset. All I can do in times like this is pray. God is going to teach me patience. But just becuase I ask for it doesn't mean He is just going to give it to me. He's not just going to tap me on the head and BAM! I have the gift of patience. Nope - unfortunately that isn't how it works. Wouldn't that be so much easier if it happened like that?! I know I would appreciate it! One of my dad's favorite movies is called "Evan Almighty" it is the sequel to the hilarious "Bruce Almighty". It stars Steve Carell as Evan. In one particular part of the movie God, who is played by Morgan Freeman, is talking to Evan's wife as she struggles through whether to believe her seemingly insane husband. This part in the movie really struck me - I think there can be an honest lesson learned from what he says.
"God: Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other?"
I think that the writters hit this one right on the head. Just because I pray for patience, God doesn't just zap me with it. He is going to put me into situations where I can practice learning patience. In those times where I am practising and learning I have to remember not to get upset. That this is a way to strengthen myself, to grow and to learn. I can't grow unless I am placed in a situation that will test me. I will not be triumphant in any situation unless I try. Unless I practise. And unless I ask God for His strength and His help. I know I am going to fail. I am a fallen and sinful human being. I am guarenteed to make mistakes and to fail. But with God on my side, I will learn from the situation so that hopefully the next time I ask God to teach me patience I might succeed with His help.
Time is annoying. Learning to wait. Hoping that it speeds up. Learning to be patient. But in everything God is in control. His timing is perfect. I just have to trust that He knows what He's doing. Through these situations I need to keep an open mind and practise patience. I need to cherish those precious moments that I do have - those moments where I wish time would stand still. Hold them close to my heart and not soon forget. Those times where time seems just to crawl, I need to open my heart to learn and to grow.
Time & Patience. Ahhh!!!
Let's learn it together! I am horrible at patience...
ReplyDelete