Friends!
Today is November 4, 2011. Nothing terribly special about the day, except that today has been designated "Random Act of Kindness Day". It's a little sad that people cannot be nice to each other any other day of the year, however it's also kind of exciting to see how people transform today and do a random act to help somebody else out. Today I was fortunate to be on the receiving end of a random act. Most of you have already read about this event on my Facebook, but I feel as if it needs to be explained again, as well as studied a little deeper.
Occasionally on my lunch break from work, I drive about 15 minutes to visit my sister at the Starbucks store that she works at. I usually get a drink and sometimes we even get to sit for a few minutes and chat. Today I showed up and it was busy in the store. It sucks a little bit because that means more time waiting in line and less time for me to spend there since I have to drive back to work. Regardless, I waited patiently in line keeping my eyes peeled for prime seating. As I get to the register, the gentleman who had ordered in front of me steps up beside me, shakes my hand and says "I'd like to buy your drink for you today. Seeing as it's random acts of kindness day. The only stipulation is that you have to pass it on". I was a little shocked and I think my face went red as I now became the centre of attention at Starbucks. So I said thank you and ordered my drink. He then handed me a business card and said that he was very honored to have been able to do that for me. Turns out the guy is a morning radio host from 91.5 The Beat! How exciting! I thanked him again and walked to the end of the bar to wait for my drink as the entire store was watching. I then stood awkwardly silent for a few minutes beside him as he also waited for his drink. After the initial shocked wore off, I got really excited about it! It was super neat to be the "victim" of that act. Although it wasn't anything enormous, that small gesture was a big deal. It made me smile and excited to go on with the rest of my day.
Isn't that what it is about? Doing things for others to make them smile? Sadly, I have to report I have yet to pay that act of kindness forward. I hope to make good on this by the end of the day. However - doing nice things for people shouldn't just happen on one particular day of the year. In my mind, as humans beings, we should be loving and show gratitude for other people all the time. Not only do I want to do a random act today November the 4th, but it should be done once a day any regular day....if not multiple times a day. A little generosity goes a long way.
What will you do to make someone smile for a little while? It doesn't take a lot. Make it a goal for this weekend to do something nice for someone. Whether it be buying a coffee for a total stranger or cooking breakfast for a loved one. It doesn't take much. Just pay it forward.
No comments:
Post a Comment