Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 5 - Ash Wednesday

Ok - so it's only a week into my goal of writing each day and I have already failed. I did not post yesterday. In my defense, I had a meeting after work in the evening however I believe that constitutes as an excuse. I apologize for already failing on my task of writing.

As for today, many of you know that today is Ash Wednesday. The beginning of the lent season leading up to Easter. Typically when I consider what I should give up for lent, I usually choose something that I don't consider too serious of a loss. The whole idea of giving up something for lent is to pick something that is a challenge. Something that will cause you to think of and pray each time it pops into your mind or the temptation is near. This year however, I think it came upon me too quickly that I have yet to decide what I should give up for lent. As I sit here and consider the options, I wonder if instead of giving something up I could teach myself to be more disciplined in certain things. And each day as I struggle through whether I should move forward, it would help remind me to pray and seek God's strength to carry on. Since I will be a couple of days starting my lent practice, I will continue it right through until the end of Easter.

Any thoughts on the idea of practicing self discipline for lent as opposed to giving something up?

No comments:

Post a Comment