Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Little Levi's Grand Entrance

Well friends, I decided that I wanted to share the details of little Levi's entrance into the world. I wanted to write this more for myself as a reminder of what a wonderfully beautiful day it was. (Don't worry I won't go all the way into all the nitty-gritty details!)

It was a LONG day. 32 hours of labour to be exact. Mr. man was in no big hurry that's for sure! I think the easiest way to go through the day is by timeline, so here goes...

12:44 am (May 2, Mr. Levi's scheduled due date) - I wake up during the night to slight cramping and to go pee. Went back to sleep no problem.

1:44am - Up again to pee. Accompanied by slight cramping again.

2:44, 3:45, 4:45, 5:45 - Up every hour with the same crampy feeling. Easily went back to sleep.

6:30am - Up to drive Rob to work. Explained how I had been up all night and let him know I would keep him posted. Came home from driving, took a gravol, had a warm bath and went back to bed.

9:30am - Woke up to serious crampy feeling. Decided not to stay in bed any longer.

Throughout the morning, contractions started coming every 20-30 minutes. I was able to lay comfortably on the couch until around noon.

12:00pm - Attempted to take another bath. Started to realize that I was unable to sit comfortably. Found that leaning over the bathtub was more comfortable.

12:30pm - Called Rob. Asked him to come home as I was stuck on the bathroom floor.

1:00 pm - Rob arrives home and helps me to the couch. I advised him to try to nap, but he wanted to wait up with me. We spent the afternoon watching TV shows, chatting, snacking all with me kneeling on a body pillow and leaning forward on my elbows onto the footrest of our rocking chair.

5:00pm - I attempted to try laying down again. Was feeling tired but realized that contractions were coming every 10-15 minutes. My "nap" lasted about 15 minutes.

Around that time we decided to start timing contractions (how often, how long they lasted). We also made some phone calls to our parents to let them know what was going on.

9:00 (ish)pm - Called the midwife. Advised her that the contractions were every 5 minutes or so and lasting a good minute each. She told me that she was at the hospital with another laboring mom and asked if we wanted to go there. We decided to stay home as I had found a comfortable place and knew this could still be a long night. She agreed to find a replacement midwife for the woman in the hospital and would come over once that was arranged.

9:30pm - Called Tante Marijke. She got up and came right over. She was going to be our labour support. And a fabulous one she was!

10:00 pm - My water broke! We called the midwife again and let her know. She let us know she was on her way!

10:30 pm - Tante Marijke showed up. Her and Rob were able to get a few household chores done at the house before the midwife and her student showed up.

11:00 pm - The midwives finally showed up! They checked me out right away and I was already 4.5 cm dialated. Since they had been at the hospital for several hours, they sat down and had something to eat and were able to chat with Marijke a bit. I went and attempted to sit in another tub. Problem being, I couldn't sit so needless to say, it didn't last long.

1:30 am - Midwives left for the hospital to set up the room. We called my family and they packed up and drove here from London very early in the morning. Such dedication! We packed up the car and Marijke drove us to the hospital. Unfortunately due to my lack of being able to sit, I had to kneel on the floor of the front seat with my arms up on the chair. Thankfully there is hardly any traffic at that time of the morning!

We arrived at the Cambridge Memorial Hospital around 2am.

This is where I'm going to leave this for now!

To Be Continued.......

No comments:

Post a Comment